Believe me when I tell you . . .

I am lost, and you are, too. If you don't know that you are lost, then I am a little less lost than you, for at least I know that I do not know where I am, whereas you persist in striding confidently from you-know-not-where into you-know-not-what.

It is only when we recognize our essential lostness that we come to see that much finding is shamming, most security is trickery, for there is no shame in not knowing, only shame in falsity.



Monday, February 19, 2007

Success and failure.

This original post had to be removed, because I didn't want anybody mentioned in it to stumble acrosss it, and recognise references to themselves. Could put me in a bad position -- and why would I do that to myself? So I wrote this one, instead.

Since we only have two channels in English, (maybe one now, since BBC seems on the fritz,) and I spend a fair bit of time walking back and forth to work, I spend a lot of time thinking about abstract concepts, which usually have very little practical application. I suppose this is because every time I think about practical things I get confused and feel bad. So it is best to just let Cynthia think about those things, and I can pluck mental daisies in friendlier fields.

I think about what I would do if I were the President of the US.
I think about what I would do if I were the King of the World.
I think about the long and complicated titles I would give myself if I were King of the world.
I imagine trying to explain certain technologies to a person from 500 years ago.
I imagine trying to recreate certain levels of society after a global meltdown.
I imagine what nice things I will be able to say in 10 years to those who still ridicule the concept of global warming, even at this late date.

(I find it really instructive to note that the foggier a person's concept of an issue, the less they actually know about it, they more likely they are to have very decided views on it.)

I also spend time thinking about momentum, and its different applications. As a physical concept, it is easy to grasp. But it seems to exist in a very real manner on a less literal level. It applies to simple day-to-day patterns of behaviour, as well as to larger patterns of interpersonal relations. Why is it that a person's recent decisions and behaviour patterns should so heavily influence their impending one's?

As a very simple example, take writing this blog. If I practice doing this 3 times a week, it will gradually become easier and easier for me, and something I find more and more rewarding. Similarly, if a person spends time eating healthy foods, it becomes easier and easier for them to continue in this pattern. If I get up early in the morning, and accomplish some small act of productivity, this seems to jumpstart a productive and positive day. What is the saying "getting off on the right foot" speaking of, except a sort of momentum?

On the other hand, (as happens to be the case,) I had some very positive momentum going, and felt that life was proceeding according to plan, (as perhaps it was.) Then a number of factors came along - the classes I had been preparing for came to an end, (whew,) I had to play catch-up in a number of areas, I had a rather strong emotional boost from achieving some goals, and then I got sick for a week. Suddenly, all the positive direction I had seems to have evaporated into thin air. I stare blankly at the to-do lists I used to care so much about, and cannot find in myself the energy to care if it gets done or not. And the more I let the small things slide, the more lethargic and pointless I feel.

Of less practical concern, (and thus of even greater interest to me,) are those people who seem to have established positive and negative momentum over the course of years, not just weeks. At one point in my life I was convinced that there were people in life who were simply destined to be failures at everything they touched. They showed an uncanny ability to consistently make the wrong decision, and further their negative spiral. Yet others seem to face the decision with no more information, or greater care,
(that I can see,) and make decisions that turn out to be right, which further their positive momentum.

I am convinced that it is not simply a question of luck - obviously there are factors at play here too subtle for my eye to see. But to some degree, I do believe there is an element of manufactured destiny, and due to the positive or negative accumulation of your past decisions, the same decision that would be positive for another person will turn out to be negative for you, or vice-versa.

One of the benefits of moving here has been getting to know a new set of people. I have been privileged to watch how they, just like Cynthia and I, entered into new positions, in a new town, creating a new chapter in their lives. Then I have been able to observe how some of them seem to be generating positive momentum, and others the opposite. And when you sit and talk with them, you can observe from the stories they tell that these patterns existed in their previous jobs and lives. Somehow, although they have changed continents 3 times, across different employers, in and out of romantic relationships, etc, the same patterns that dog their behaviour now were evident back then - and they can't even see it. Then again, maybe I only see it because I am looking hard enough that I mentally invent patterns that don't exist. But I don't think so.

No comments: