Believe me when I tell you . . .

I am lost, and you are, too. If you don't know that you are lost, then I am a little less lost than you, for at least I know that I do not know where I am, whereas you persist in striding confidently from you-know-not-where into you-know-not-what.

It is only when we recognize our essential lostness that we come to see that much finding is shamming, most security is trickery, for there is no shame in not knowing, only shame in falsity.



Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Question, on an Educational Survey I Filled Out Today.

5. If you were to choose a metaphor for where/how you see yourself with respect to your personal and professional development, how would you describe it; what metaphor would you choose and why?


I am on a bridge, which is over a deep chasm. The bridge sways gently in the breeze, causing the cables to creak in a pleasant, though possibly ominous way. I look down, and see far below me the river of knowledge that flows like a thin silver rivulet along the bottom of the chasm. Oh, how I wish I could reach down, and dip my hands into the shining flow! But alas, I am on the bridge, and I cannot reach the knowledge without either exiting the bridge and climbing down the treacherous walls of the chasm, or leaping from the bridge, which would surely kill me.

A large Administrative bear emerges at the head of the bridge, but when I turn to run, the tiger of unemployment stalks me from behind! I cry out to the gods of wisdom and rationality, who answer my prayers with the approach of a group of raucously loud and uneducated mob armed with sticks and plenty of snacks, (but no pens or notebooks or textbooks,) at whose approach the bear roars in fear and leaves. The raucous group then beats me to death with their sticks, on the bridge, overlooking the shining flow of knowledge, far, far below.

1 comment:

Stranger said...

I wrote "I am the cosmos" and didn't elaborate.