Believe me when I tell you . . .

I am lost, and you are, too. If you don't know that you are lost, then I am a little less lost than you, for at least I know that I do not know where I am, whereas you persist in striding confidently from you-know-not-where into you-know-not-what.

It is only when we recognize our essential lostness that we come to see that much finding is shamming, most security is trickery, for there is no shame in not knowing, only shame in falsity.



Tuesday, March 6, 2007

A night out



After a week and a half of being uproariously sick, Cynthia and I are now recovering a bit of the motivation and energy that usually is present in our lives. Now if we could just recover our rythm as well. During the weeks before getting sick I was exercising extra hard to try and catch up on the exercises I was supposed to be doing. Now, after being sick, I don't feel like exercising at all. I just want to lay around the house and do nothing all day.

However, it would appear that Spring is here. The days are warming up a bit, and there is a definite feel that winter is over. Of course, since global warming is more typified by dramatic weather swings than by consistent warming, I suppose we may yet receive 5 feet of snow. But I don't think so. And all in all, I am glad my first winter in Poland was an extremely mild one.

In other news, the director of the Masters In Poland program announced yesterday that Cynthia and I would be the new coordinators for the program. We shortly received congratualtions from one person, and I suspect it will earn us the enmity of at least one other. Still, what would life be if somebody wasn't pissed off?

Last weekend, after not going out for ages and ages, Cynthia decided to surprise me by taking me out to eat. We went out for pizza to a new place that exists in old cellars under the street. The ceilings are arches of brick, and at the highest point on the wall is a tiny window, (maybe 12 by 18 inches) through which you can see people's shoes as they walk by on the sidewalk. Anyways, a large pizza costs 3 dollars US, and half a liter of beer costs 1.70 US, so we escaped quite cheaply. However, shortly after our arrival we were joined by a cohort of teachers from the local uni, so we did not get to hang out and chat, as we had hoped.

So the next night we did it again. I cannot tell you how strange this is for us -- we never go out. Yet for once, twice in two days, we ate out. I feel so decadent.

Well, here is wishing you all a merry Wednesday -- it is gonna be a busy one for me. First Polish class, from which I catch the bus to a private class at the local version of Wal-Mart, from whence I go home, change bags, throw a sandwich down the gullet, and walk out to school and 3 more classes back to back. So I suppose I should get started -- bye!

No comments: